December 19

What To Do When Your Electricity Has Tripped

No power or is your electricity keeps tripping off? Here are what to check first and the basics on trying to get the electricity back on. These are just basic things you want to do beforehand to double-check which circuits are having a problem. 

As a tenant, it is your responsibility to maintain regular checks of your electrical system by checking your fuse board throughout your tenancy—especially if the electricity keeps tripping. 

This is an important process to undertake and the doublecheck you’ll make can help when you need an electrician called in to check your system. 

You’ll find many examples of what to do when your electricity is tripped. The video and the step-by-step process below are general guides for what you can do to do a preliminary check.

If your electricity has tripped, the first thing you need to do is check your mains fuse box. Also known as your fuse board, your mains fuse box trips if your home's electricity suffers an overload. 

The first thing you need to do is get to your fuse board and check which circuit has been overloaded. Appliances, your HVAC system, and even your showers or heating can overload circuits and cause them to trip. 

You can isolate which circuit is overloaded by going through all the circuit switches one by one. The overloaded circuit will trigger the breaker switch to trip. 

In most cases, it is the sockets circuit that would be the cause of the overload (and the electricity to keep tripping). In this case, you need to unplug all appliances and devices plugged into your home's sockets. Check again to confirm. 

Then, once you've isolated the circuit, reset your fuse board (minus that circuit) and reset to see if that fixes the issue. If power comes on, you'll need to make a note of the overloaded circuit and report it as soon as possible. 

However, if checking your fuse board doesn't remedy the problem and it trips again, please contact us on 01522503717 and we will be able to send out a contractor. However, if it is found that it falls under your responsibility as a tenant then you will be charged for the work.



electrical tripping, fuse box tripping

You may also like

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}


Chat to the Team

We're always ready to provide our thoughts. Enter your details and we'll return your call or simply call (+44) 01522 503 717